Friends of SOH
Friends of SoH
In a rapidly changing environment SoH needs to be ready to adapt to the changing needs and context of our community in East Vatara. Our students continue to do extremely well academically and, with the continued support of Lindex and our other sponsors, the future is looking hopeful.
Our hearty respect to following friends who helped or are helping from time to time to cover our journey. They are helping us with many types of helping from financial sector to academic sector, from logistic support to garments sale purpose, from awareness building support to medical support, from training purpose to entertainment purpose all times we get them beside us.
This summary doesn’t cover everyone who contributes in one way or another to the school. Please find a more complete list of our supporters in the main body of this report. If we have not mentioned specific names and details here, please forgive us! Each and every contribution to SoH counts and makes a difference… from buying garments at our sales, painting the school and visiting the students, to significant corporate contributions.
- Lindex is our main sponsor – Lindex pays for our teacher’s salaries, and high school scholarships; and in 2015 installed Emergency signs and fire alarms;
- Lindex, Next, Oryx, Europoint, Target, Kmart, Square, Pacific Enterprises, Lenny Fashions, Newtop Trading, Triumph International, Sainsbury’s, Tuli Treading and Threadmill– our corporate garment donors make our garment sales possible;
- Bengal Meat – provide donations of wonderful meat for school meals up to 2016;
- Petregaz – provide a constant gas supply for the school kitchen with gas bottles provided as needed up to 2016;
- HSBC – previously held the VHF bank accounts and established a VHF Endowment Fund in 1997. These accounts and the endowment fund were transferred to full VHF Board control in early 2015, and are now held with SCB;
- Square Pharmaceuticals – committed to twice yearly donations of medical and toiletry supplies, plus small donations of high quality garments for our garment sales;
- International Fund for Economic Development (IFED) – IFED donated all our 2015, 2016 supplementary textbooks (regular textbooks were obtained for free this year from the government!). Judy Anderson, an expat living in Dhaka, worked closely with our Principle and Administrator again this year to complete this donation;
- TESSCO and Feroza Fashion – donated all our 2015, 2016 school uniforms to our kids;
- Bangladesh Health Society, Nederland(BHSn) – visited the school in January again this year and checked all the children’s teeth. They also donated sufficient funds so that all the dental issues they identified could be resolved by a high quality local dentist;
- Chris Pender, Chevron’s Drilling Superintendent, very generously donated 10,000 BDT per month to the school for day-to-day running costs. 2015 is the second year he has supported the school. He also surprised us again with a wonderfully generous gift of 70,000 BDT to buy end of year gifts for the children. Thank you so much Chris!
- Michelle Quiah and Homebound – funds our Dairy Program so that each child to receives milk or yogurt 3 times per week. This is a significant contribution which makes a real difference to the children’s nutrition. She also provides extensive help throughout the year, always finding a way to answer the Board’s requests for help or advice. Homebound also provides free manpower for many works at the VHF from painting, moving garments to and from sales, and fixing school building issues. In 2016 Homebound will also be storing all our garments between sales;
- International School Dhaka – ISD has had a long connection with the VHF and students annually assist the VHF in various ways as part of their community commitments. In 2015 the ISD students hosted VHF students with weekly (scheduling permitting!) access to their computer facilities. This not only improves their computing knowledge, but we feel, offers a unique opportunity for children from very different background to interact;
- Picard – Picard attends most VHF garment sales to sell its beautiful handbags, with profits generously donated to VHF;
- IUBAT – provided health checks to al students
- JCI – ran a dental check camp and provided legal information for all VHF families;
- Albion Group – this year they provided a range of medicines for use at school;
- The volunteers of Dhaka – many volunteers provide crucial assistance to the VHF, from helping at our garments sales, offering advice to dedicating time on the Board;
- Commercial Bank of Cyclone –helped the school with some teaching purpose kinds in 2016 and 2018;
- Dhaka East AP, World Vision of Bangladesh – helping SoH with kinds, academic aids, food staffs, registered sponsorship programs for some of the siblings of our students, food and monetary help during the Covid pandemic awareness building workshops to the students from 2016 till now in many ways;
- All For One – helping SoH at many times with food support during Covid pandemic with the help of DNCC Mayor, providing awareness building programs for adolescence health care for both boys and girls, helping the entertaining programs in school premises;
- BYLCA – provided awareness building programs in 2016, 2017 and in 2018 with the students both in house and outgoing emphasizing on child violence, road safety and safe touch;
- AbintaKabir Foundation – a neighbor school of SoH, often helps with many types of teaching kinds;
- Eye Care Program MSS – helps often with eye care program and prescribed glasses as well as eye treatment to our students freely;
- Toys R Yours – helps our all kids of the school (250+) with toys as gifts for entertainments;
- IUB Social Welfare Club – with thesupport of Ahmed Group helps out kids with warm clothes during the winter as winter aids in 2018 and 2019;
- NSU Social Service Club – helped a group of performers. Our kids, to perform in the university program in 2018 which helped us to know people about our activities;
- Grace International School, Australian International School – help our kids in awareness building program as well as garments sale purpose;
- Nordic Club, International Club, AISD and ISD – helps in our garments sale venue purpose